Monday, October 25, 2010

Who even knew cats could have a cleft palate?

I had never even heard of this happening in cats. I was so shocked when the vet showed me what the problem was. When I came home I was even more shocked to find that there wasn't much information out there about cats with cleft palates. I came across a couple of cases where surgeons volunteered to do the surgery normally done on humans, a couple people asking what to do with their kitten that they discovered had a cleft palate, and a few other very vague sites with brief information, but that was it. It was even more dis-heartening to read that in most cases these kittens do not survive, and if they do, they are usually euthanized at a young age. I read that in cases where they do survive their first year, it's just a matter of time before they develop aspiration pneumonia.

I continued to read things like, if they do survive, most tend to be very small and lethargic for the most part. Seven year old kittens who only weigh 5 or 6 lbs. and sleep all day. I know cats love to sleep, but I also know they love to play, and that isn't much of a life for anyone or anything. Before we taught Zorro to drink from the bottle I could see what kind of life he would live. He was very lethargic, he slept in what we called "Boys Club" for most of the day (Boy's club is behind the sofa where he would go to get away from all of the girls, Ash, Prudence, and I, and also I think to escape the noise). He would eat, drink, choke, and then slowly mosey on over to Boy's Club where he would be the rest of the day.

Now that he has gained some weight and is a little healthier he only goes in Boys Club to hide from Prudence for a couple of seconds before running after her when she's least expecting it. When he wants to sleep these days (usually around the nooner after he and Prudence have run around chasing each other all morning driving his moms crazy) he usually goes up to Ash or I and meows, signaling it's snuggle/nap time, at which time he kneads his way to sleep on our face and neck while being held like a baby. ;)

For now it seems hard enough just to raise the money for one surgery alone, but if for some reason this blog/fundraiser takes off, it would be great to raise awareness and give money back so other people have the opportunity to get the surgery done on their little ones as well. I can't imagine all of the loving pets lost to this developmental deformity because there is no information out there about it, or no help with the high cost of surgery. In the least I would like to give money to the Lititz Veterinary Clinic for their graciousness through all of this, in hopes that they might be able to help local animals that otherwise might not have been able to be saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment